Dear parents and carers,
Welcome to Year 1! We hope you have had a lovely time over the summer and are sure you are now ready to start the new school year.
We are looking forward to getting to know you and working together so that we have a very exciting and productive year. We hope that you enjoy the new challenges and approaches to learning that Year 1 has to offer!
Transition from Reception to Year 1
Our aim is to ensure that the children experience a smooth transition from the Foundation Stage to Key Stage One. The Year 1 curriculum builds upon and extends the experiences that children have had in Reception. Learning through play will continue to be an important part of the school day, and the children will gradually be eased into more formal learning as the year goes on so that they remain motivated, enthused and eager learners. Please do not hesitate to come and see us either before or after school if you have any questions or queries.
Reading in Year 1
In Year 1 this year, the children will be taking a more active role in choosing their home reading books. Once a week, the children will work with an adult in class to choose three levelled reading books and one bedtime reading story for the week. These books will all go home with your child in their book bag, along with their reading journal. We would ask that you read with your child every day for twenty minutes and fill in any comments on your child’s reading progress in the reading journal. The children will be able to discuss the books they took home with an adult in school during the week and specific tasks based on these books will be set.
Our topic this term is Ourselves.
We will be focussing on settling the new pupils into their class, and the main school. We will be exploring the things that make us who we are, including our likes and dislikes, our families, our homes, etc. We will be recapping phase 3 and 4 phonics and looking at basic sentence structure. In maths we will be focusing on counting, addition, subtraction and place value.
- Please ensure all your child’s uniform and coats are clearly labelled with their name.
- If your child has any medical conditions or allergies please ensure you inform us – for example: asthma or food allergies or if they need to have a vegetarian option for lunch.
- The children will start PE lessons after this first term. In the meantime, we encourage children to practise getting dressed at home to help them get changed quickly in school! We will send out further information on this closer to the time.
- We will be visiting Peckham Library every second Friday, in the afternoons. We need parent helpers for these trips so please let us know if you can help out.
- We will be going on a trip to Greenwich Park later in the half term. We will send more details on this closer to the time.