We are a vibrant and diverse two form entry primary school located in the heart of Peckham. We would like to warmly invite all prospective parents to come and get a taste of what school life is like at John Donne. Please call the office to arrange a school tour on 0207 639 0594
What makes John Donne a special place to learn?
- We aim to provide all of our children with a successful and unforgettable educational experience so that they can achieve personal and academic excellence.
- Every child is unique and this drives what we do. We put the children at the centre of their own learning and we make learning irresistible, meaningful and memorable.
- Through an innovative curriculum and enriching opportunities, we foster a passion for learning and encourage the development of life-long skills.
- Our team of passionate staff contribute to the success of our confident, independent and aspirational pupils, as they challenge and support each of our learners to achieve their best possible outcomes.
- We promote a culture of achievement so that every aspect of the child is valued and celebrated at every opportunity.
- We incorporate a range of specialisms, unique to our school yet the norm in our strive for excellence. We have high quality specialist teachers in Outdoor Learning, Poetry, Spanish, PE and Music.
- We are proudly part of the Communitas Education Trust; a local trust working collaboratively with local schools. We are supported by a wider network offering expertise, educational opportunities and further enrichment possibilities.
Pupil Admission Number (PAN)
The school has an admission number of 60 for entry in Year Reception.
The school will accordingly admit this number of pupils if they are sufficient applications. Where fewer applicants than the published admission number(s) for the relevant year group are received, the Academy Trust will offer places at the school to all those who have applied.
Admissions consultation 2024-2025
As part of Nexus Education Schools Trust, John Donne Primary School will fall under the Trust admissions policy from 2024-2025.
As a result, John Donne Primary School is now consulting on the 2024-25 admissions policy which has the following oversubscription criteria:
- Looked after children
- Acute medical or social need
- Children attending linked infants and junior schools
- Children of members of staff
- Proximity to each school
The consultation will be open from 15th December 2022 until 26th January 2023. Please see the proposed admissions policy below.
Reception Admission Arrangements
Please see below for admission arrangements.
Reception Admission Appeals
Please see below for the admission appeals timetable for September 2022 entry.
Appeals resulting from applications for admission to Reception for September 2022 will be heard according to the following timetable:
National Offer Day
Monday 17th April 2023 after 5pm
Date by which an appeal must be submitted
Tuesday 2nd May
Appeals to be heard by
June to July 2023 (dates tbc)
Deadline for appellants to submit additional evidence
8:00am, 3 working days before the appeal hearing
Decision letters sent to the appellants
Within 5 school days of the appeal hearing (whenever possible)
Appellants will be sent notification of their appeal date at least 10 school days before the hearing.
Appeals lodged after these dates will be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline or 30 school days of the appeal being lodged, whichever is the later date.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the Appeals form
Nursery Admissions Criteria
John Donne Primary School is an academy school and we welcome children of every faith and from every background.
We are committed to include all children, able bodied or disabled, gifted or with special needs. We will adapt our school where possible to meet with any child’s special needs. If you would like to see a copy of our accessibility plan please ask the school office.
We follow the admissions procedure agreed by the southwark admissions forum.
Over-subscription Criteria for Nursery
In the event that there are more applications than there are places available, places will be allocated in the following order of priority:
(i) Children in public care (Looked-After Children) and children who were previously looked after but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a child arrangements order or special guardianship order)
(ii) Children with siblings who are already on roll at the school and will still be on roll at their date of entry
(iii) Children with exceptional medical, social or psychological needs, where it is agreed by the Governing Body and the headteacher that these can best be addressed at the Academy
(iv) Children of permanent staff members who work at least three days per week
(v) Children living nearest to the school as measured by a straight line from the child’s home to the main school gate
How to Apply
Application for Nursery is made directly through the school. You can apply for your child to be added to our waiting list after they turn 2 either by email at email@example.com or you can obtain an application form at the school office.
Application for Reception is made by completing Southwark's on-line application form available here.
Please contact Southwark Council with regard to in-year transfers.